Karuna and Compassionate Care
Karuna offers holistic palliative care services based on the Buddhist value of compassionate care. We provide:
- No-cost care and support to people in the community with life limiting illness who wish to remain at home, in the surrounds they know, with the people they know and love.
- Compassinate care for people of all ages, some for a matter of weeks, others over many months.
- An understanding that the diagnosis of a life threatening health condition may be the most confronting experience in life. Just as caring for a loved one at home when their health is deteriorating may be an unfamiliar and distressing role.
For more than 25 years Karuna’s Home and Community Palliative Care has helped thousands of Queenslanders facing incurable illness to be where they want to be: with family, friends or loved ones, whilst receiving the best of care.
Our multi-skilled, experienced team work closely with clients and their carers to provide specialist, clinical and moral support so that remaining at home for the rest of life is possible, peaceful and positive.
Karuna’s Home and Community Palliative care is a no-fee service accessible throughout Brisbane’s Northern suburbs, Caboolture and Redcliffe. Admission can be arranged via:
- A direct request from you or a family member
- A general practitioner or specialist
- A treating clinic or hospital
- Community organisations
How Karuna Can Assist
We are available to answer questions about the service on 07 3632 8300 between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday.
On admission our care team will meet with you either at Karuna or at home and help plan the care you need. This will sometimes include talking with your medical practitioner to ensure appropriate coordination of care.
Our Home and Community Palliative care services may include all or some of the following:
- Assessment of client and family health and social needs
- Home nursing care for pain and symptom management
- Nursing equipment
- Liaison with the family GP
- Family counselling and emotional support
- Spiritual support and discussion
- Carer education, training and support
- Meditation programs
- After hours support
- Linkage to other community and social services
- Volunteer services – Karuna’s Family Support volunteers play an integral role by helping fill essential roles as the face of our philosophy of kindness. They provide companionship, practical assistance and respite.
Admission to Karuna Services
Admission to Karuna’s in-home care can be arranged through a:
- direct request from you or a family member
- general practitioner or specialist
- treating clinic or hospital
- community organisations.
Karuna’s admitting team will work with your medical practitioner to ensure appropriate coordination of care and then meet with you and your family. This can happen either at Karuna or in your home. An individual care plan will be developed in consultation with you and your carer.
Karuna has a reputation as a leader in grief and bereavement support. We have a wealth of experience and expertise helping people suffering from grief and loss.
- psychology and counselling
- support groups
- memorial services
- learning workshops
- online information